Sunday, February 9, 2020

Where I've Been and Where I'm Going

FACEBOOK: The Blog Killer

 Social Media can be the bane of one's existence. My advice is don't go there if you're not there already and if you are, run. It is a soul killing, blog killing, grammar disrespecting swamp. While it has its good points - such as finding inspiring DIY YouTube videos and reconnecting with old friends - it tends to be a huge time waster. So I've turned my back on Facebook, starting today, for the most part; I "unfriended" people I don't really know and "unfollowed" page after page that was clogging up my feed and taking up so much of my time. It's a deep, deep rabbit hole and once you fall down it, climbing out almost requires a twelve step program.

 I retired in December 2018 and I thought I'd have 8-10 hours a day to do nothing but sew and quilt. Wrong! There's been a lot of activity in our lives so the dream of sitting at the sewing machine or doing handwork all day has almost evaporated but not quite.

This past fall I made several "junk journals" for gifts. The one below was for my daughter. She's a huge Jane Austen fan so that was the theme of her journal.

Making these journals is somewhat like making a crazy quilt. Lots of creative license and there's no stopping point. I had a great time collecting ephemera to add to them and I love the quirkiness of them. I purchased many of the pages you see from Etsy shops.














It's such an enjoyable process with all the beautiful papers and images available.

All for now. Hopefully  not such a long break between posts.


3 comments:

  1. Your journal looks anything but junky! What a tribute to Jane Austen. Are you supposed to write in the journal & add your own tidbits? I'd be paralyzed to write anything "dumb" on the pages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah... it's so nice to connect with you & your blog! I look forward to reading your past entries, and I love your journal... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you about Facebook. In addition to my problems with their politics, it gives me sensory overload, so I avoid it. I love your journal and I’m often tempted to take an altered book workshop.

    ReplyDelete