Monday, January 20, 2014

Hexie Madness

Hexagons seem to be all the rage these days. My aunts made a number of flower garden quilts, all by hand, no paper piecing. They cut the hexagons out individually using templates and stitched them together.  The one that I have is packed away somewhere but below is a picture of a variation of that hexagon, much like the one   at the Soupcon Quilt Along where some really beautiful work is being done. I'm very tempted to get into that.

Here is the quilt done by my aunts nearly 40 years ago:


It's very scrappy and at this point, very worn - I need to repair it. 

My husband saw this and said, "You should make one of those for Avi."

Avi was our tour guide when we were in Israel last year. 

I might do that, and hope that it's finished when I go back to Israel in 4 or 5 years when I retire.





3 comments:

  1. Always interesting how some very old idea will gain popularity again. I english paper pieced some hexagons for a watercolor styled quilt but it ended up as a table runner instead. I thoroughly enjoyed the epp; I'd do it again (but not right now).

    ReplyDelete