Monday, January 17, 2011

Two New Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative quilts finished




Sorry about the second picture.I would fix it but right now I am so aggravated at Blogger I could scream.

The first quilt is my own creation, inspired by an article in the latest issue of Quilting Arts magazine.  I started with 4 inch squares, and layered several different fabrics. Then I did some random, free-style stitching through all four layers. Next I cut away parts of different layers of fabric. Finally, cut the 4" squares into 2" squares. I believe in the article, they were stitched togehter but  I decided to arrange them as you see. I thought some movement was needed, so I pressed some bonding material to a piece of the silk dupioni, and made some curvy cuts which I ironed onto the background, then stitched the squares on top. I like the end result. This is way outside my comfort zone, but once I got going, I had a lot of fun & ultimately am very happy with it. I love working with the silk dupioni, and I love these colors.

Second quilt I have mentioned before. It is a pattern by Pat Sloan, who has allowed her free patterns to be used in the AAQI quilts. It's a cute and would be cut in someone's kitchen as a series of different fruits, flowers, or herbs, I think.

These will hopefully be registered & in the next auction.

They are the first two I 've done as part of the $1000 Challenge I have signed up for. I have a long way to go.

Ami Simm's Alzheimer Art Quilt Initiative is a great cause. Spread the word among your friend about the auctions, which are listed on the website.

1 comment:

  1. Those are both beautiful quilts! Great start on your $1,000 Promise.

    ReplyDelete