Sunday, December 5, 2010

An Old Debbie Reynolds movie


I developed a serious crush on Cliff Robertson when I first saw this movie in 1963. I'm ashamed to say I was 13 years old at the time. Thirteen year olds are much more sophisticated these days, when most have given birth by 13. I was still having crushes on movie stars at that age.

We would have called a "square" movie back then; today, kids would groan "it's lame" -- in the unlikely event they watched it. Not that anyone would dream of making a movie like this today. Although Raising Helen with Kate Hudson and John Corbet kinda sorta comes a little close.

Memorable lines: Cliff Robertson (who plays a minister): "Don't let this collar fool you. I stopped thinking of you as a movie star a long time ago."

Debbie Reynolds: I ran out on you, too. Will you forgive me?
Cliff Robertson: Forgiveness is part of my job.
Debbie Reynolds: I stopped thinking of you as a minister a long time ago.

It's contrived and predictable, but the whole idea is to manipulate you into a feel-good mood. And there's nothing wrong with that.

My blood glucose levels have risen significantly in spite of enjoying this frothy little nugget so I think it's time for a few episodes of Dexter to even things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment