Saturday, September 19, 2009

Shana Tova

We celebrated Rosh Hashanah at the Atlanta kollel this year, with Rabbi Freitag. I love his enthusaism and sense of humor. The Kollel is an Orthodox shul but they seem to be focused on the spiritual, on education and learning.

This year I am enrolling in the Kollel Institute, a three year program of Jewish studies. I think this will be my path to reconnecting with a Jewish community. Since we left our synagogue, we have not found another place to worship and be with other Jews. In my part of the world, unlike Baptist churches, there is not a temple on every corner. We must drive a minimum of 20 miles, which would be fine if we could find a place where we felt welcome and comfortable.

I'm excited about the Kollel Institute. Studies include Jewish history, mysticism, ritual, and of course, Torah. Three whole years of learning. I can't wait.

The best part is that my daughter wants to come with me. Even more reason to feel this is a good thing.

Good Yontif!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Rosh Hashanah, Deborah!

    Will you be sharing your studies with us here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I was raised protestant, I think I would love your classes too. One of my best girlfriends is the daughter of an Othodox Rabbi. I have learned most of what I know (in regards to Judiasm) from her.

    Please do share with us!& Happy High Holy days !

    ReplyDelete